Tuesday, December 13, 2011

~An Old-fashioned Christmas in the Mountains~


       It's cold here in the mountains of Kentucky tonight.  It's been a while since my last post....been a little sidetracked due to appointments and other things that seem to come up.
 I just came inside to check on a roast I've had in the oven for the past couple hrs. Should be done and ready to serve! I can't wait....I'm famished!-----Been having a small problem with some coyotes tonight, they seem to be gathering closer. Since the weather is beginning to get colder now, I've been seeing more animals closer to the cabin. I've been trying to keep my dogs closer to home. As I was walking up the steps to the porch I noticed the light in my Nativity. We just finished the 4x 10 manger yesterday evening and are planning to work on Mr. and Mrs. Snowman before Christmas.

With all the decorations, I've had for several years now, I placed them in different locations here at my home.   Every where you look, Christmas is in the air! Isn't that nice!? Though it would seem there are some who are not as excited to celebrate Christmas. For various reasons I suppose. Tonight my mind and heart is filled with thoughts of my family and of friends near and far. What Christmas really means for me. Just the other day while shopping for a 2nd smaller tree for my  cabin here in the mountains, I overheard someone say they hated Christmas & wished the holidays were over soon.

    It seemed sad really, the question remained, why would someone hate Christmas...how could any one hate Christmas for that matter? What could be so terrible about Christmas?! Nothing as far as this blogger is concerned. Everything about Christmas is wonderful!---- Christmas is a time for Romance a time for appreciation, for Love for gathering of family and of friends, gift giving, and it doesn't have to be the most expensive gift....there is the joy of Christmas caroling, the Christmas movies, Children's laughter, for counting one's blessings. Personally I have made it more than a "Family Tradition" to appreciate all the blessing God has bestowed upon me, upon my family. To try not to take for granted the most important people and things in my life., to appreciate all the goodness of God.  I am thankful; grateful that He sent His Only begotten son; The Lord and Savior Jesus Christ; a King of all Kings, yet He came as a little babe, not in riches or glory but in humility in a manger in the City of David, in Bethlehem. Wisemen followed a star and today wise men are still following, searching, seeking out, The Savior.


With all the stress people feel during this time of the year, the pressure to buy this or that, pressure to over- spend in an already compromised economy, with all this rushing around, With the retail prices the bargains the deals,  have we forgotten what Christmas is really all about? When people should be relaxing enjoying the peace, the joy of this beautiful Season. Whatever happened to an Old-fashioned Christmas? That's what I have here in the mountains. Friends and neighbors gather together for a huge bon-fire a few days before Christmas, we make homemade Chili, peanutbutter sandwiches, Hotdogs with homemade sauce.  We go for an old-fashioned hayride throughout the valley. then, we roast marshmellows, smores. Sending out a few Christmas greeting cards, buying a few gifts for family and a friend or two. Having a small turkey breast and or a ham or maybe both for dinner with all the trimmings included. With leftovers to enjoy for at least 3 more days!

I do not do well with stress and I seem to deal with it enough throughout the year, therefore during Christmas a most Special Season, I try my very best to relax.....enjoy the season remembering it for what it truly is; a time for Celebration...to appreciate the very 1st Christmas Gift; The Lord and Savior Jesus Christ...a time for gathering with family and friends in appreciation.

I hope this Christmas, it's meaning is a little clearer for all of us.

May Yours be a Blessed and most Joyous one.

Blessings always~

No comments:

Post a Comment